Monday, October 29, 2007

Closet Organization












The portraits you can partially see here have been individually posted in a previous post for you to view in full. What you are viewing here is the installation portion of the project. It is a closet for my self portraits, however, it also serves as a self portrait in and of itself. For example: I am a very organized person, so I designed a closet to represent me, and in turn organize the self portraits that I drew.
This project was one of my favorites even though my mental image of this project did not materialize into the final outcome, which is what you see here. One of the examples of this failed materialization was that the metal rope would not stay straight. As a result, the self portraits could not be equally spaced as I was hoping for. I also, in the time alloted, could not come up with a better way to hang the pictures from the rope. I played with some ideas which included: Hanging the pictures from both wires instead of individually, using fishing wire on both sides of the portraits and hanging them from the center of the two ropes, and using only one rope to hang all of the portraits. The reason for not using fishing line or any type of wire requiring me to thread it through the paper, was because I would not be able to remove the portraits, like clothing in a closet. As a consequence, I ended up with a design that did not meet my desired result. However, overall I am happy with how the project evolved, and I must say it is my favorite project thus far.

No comments: