Friday, September 28, 2007

The Design Masquerade















I thought the title would be fitting since I am not yet a full fledged designer. However, I did design, and create this mask by hand. To give you some background information, our task was to create a container that houses a personal memory. Now, you may say that this is not a container. Furthermore, you may ask "what exactly does it house." Well, I am glad you asked. My first idea, which will be posted in a few days, was to design a box that resembled the Kennedy Center in D.C. This box would represent my first trip to the Kennedy Center, in which I attribute my journey and love for design, culinary arts, fashion, theatre and decorum. This box would have had many drawers which each would have symbolized a different aspect of my love for design in all areas of life. The roof was detachable, and underneath housed two chandeliers and two water fountains that are unique to the Kennedy Center. However, after my first critique I realized that I really needed to focus on one aspect of the Kennedy Center and not many. A couple days passed when an idea literally jumped into my head and YELLED, "HERE I AM. MAKE ME!" This mask contains, houses and provokes my memory of the Kennedy Center. The ribbon symbolizes the red carpet that everyone who ever attends the Kennedy Center walks on. The mask symbolizes the fact that the Kennedy Center is a theatre. So, when I look at this mask I am immediately taken to my first trip to Kennedy Center where I saw the Don Quixote Ballet, and the feelings I felt as I walked down the red carpet to enter the beautiful theatre.


No comments: