Sunday, December 9, 2007

Designers (Kuwabara Bruce)

This firm has received more than 100 awards including the Governor General'sAwards for Architecture, Canada's highest honour. Do all of these awards and honours require the public to like a firm such as this? Am I as a design student afforded the liberty to not like their work? I answer this by saying that as a design student. if I do not like their work then I had better have a reason why. I had better be able to critically critique them in an educated way and from a design perspective.
Having said this, I do enjoy their work and I will tell you on a critical level. Instead of talking about Bruce Kawabara personally I am going to discuss one of his projects. I am taking this unconventional view, because I believe a persons work speaks volumes about him or herself. The project I am going to talk about is Canada's National Ballet School. Form the exterior the building is beautifully integrated into the surrounding urban landscape. One might even say, it is edenic in an urban semblance. Even the beautiful yellow sapphire like glow that emanated from the building at night contributes to its edenic qualities.
www.kpmb.com

No comments: